Added figures and logs to the crane by the sawmill
Working on a picnic scene
I’m working on indoor projects at the moment, as the weather hasn’t cooperated for outdoor/train running time. A couple buildings are being fixed up (and a new one built) and I’ve managed to make some more progress on my crossing gates. I’m also working on a Z scale on G scale flatcar, that will be pulled by my LGB loco while a Marklin Z scale loco goes around it. More when it gets warmer.
Came home from Christmas with the family in Nebraska to find that my Koi had died. I suspect ammonia poisoning–though they’d been in that tank for almost a month, it was pretty small for three medium sized Koi. Now I have to decide if I’ll put more in the pond in the spring, or just leave it fish-free.
Things have slowed almost to a stop on the layout. Mostly because I’m almost done, but also because I’m so busy. There’s just not enough time to do much more than keep the weeds down.
I have purchased another building for the motorcycle factory: the side building.
My original plan was to put full-sized buildings on the mountain(s) for a Rigi Duo system. Unfortunately, that didn’t look right, as the mountains are really too rugged to be that “size.”
Here’s my plan for the Rigi Duo setup on my layout
I built some logs for my logging wagon from ABS pipe.
First, I cut it to length. Then I applied adhesive to the outside, in lines parallel to the length of the pipe.
I smoothed the application with a toothpick–catching any drips.
I cut pieces of sintra to fit the ends, then inserted them. Then I filled the ends with adhesive.
Once it was all dry, I dipped them in outdoor paint–a dark slate, almost black color I have.
Next I applied a dry brushing of lighter browns and then washed with a darker brown.
Finally, I painted the ends light brown to represent fresh-cut wood and added some light brown spots along the “trunk” to simulate where branches were removed.
I think they look pretty good. We’ll have to see how they stand up outside.
I’ve been fiddling with this for quite some time. My initial experiments didn’t work out too well as the IR sensors didn’t like the waterproofing and the “stainless” steel wire I was using rusted out.
But here’s some progress
The servos are mounted in the bottom of a set of LGB crossing gates.
The servos are controlled by an Arduino board.
One of the really neat things about my layout is that I can see most all of it from the dining room window. And at night, it’s really cool to look out and see the miniature town all lit up. I just like being able to admire how cool it looks with all the lights on.
So, in the Kansas climate (summers in the 100s, winters in the 10s) buildings really take a beating. It’s now time for me to bring some in (into the air conditioned house) and work on ones that have deteriorated.
My oldest building is this Piko station. I enjoyed building it–it’s one of the few “new” kits I bought, but it’s definitely in need of some work. The base is a piece of Sintra laminated to a piece of acrylic, which seemed like a good idea at the time but has started to separate. Also, the “street” lights need work and the interior needs to be cleaned out.
First I’ll tackle the lighting: the LEDs in it are cool white. And after three years they’ve started to dim. Which means that it’s time to trade them out for new, warm white ones. That includes the interior lights, the light that highlights the passenger and station employee, and the two exterior post lights.
Well, all was quiet on the railroad front as I spent a few days traveling to New York and West Point to see my nephew graduate from the United States Military Academy and leave to join the Army.
I have a lot more to do, but am currently waiting on a list of parts.
For the sawmill/logging scene, I need wheels. I’m going to make some horse-drawn logging wagons, but need wheels.
For the windmill, I need the Pola motor. I ordered it, but it didn’t ship for a couple of days and I’m still impatiently waiting for it to arrive.
For the windmill scene, I ordered some Pressier figures. From Germany. So those will be a while coming.
So lots to do, but right now it’s hurry up and wait.
Good progress today… Here’s the mill test-fitted together and a view of it inverted so you can see the detail of the woodwork. This is pretty neat, though it will be out of sight to most observers.