The last few weeks have been spent working to address some of the stuff that’s happened to the layout over the winter:
- Several figures needed to be repainted, reset on their bases, or otherwise repaired.
- Some roofs needed repainting
- Cleaning buildings of mud/rain splatter
- Sprinkler repair
- Getting the last of the leaves out of the tunnel
Plus there were other things to take care of:
- Re-leveling/settling track
- New plants
Continue reading Maintenance Work
When I started my layout, live steam wasn’t even a gleam in my eye. I planned on analog DC to start and a possible move to DCC later. But I’ve got the live steam bug now.
to make steaming up more convenient, I’ve decided to add a siding where steamers can be serviced and steamed up more easily. Not done yet, but here’s a start.
Well, it was a little windy (gusting to 50) here the other day. Several buildings blew over. I’ll need to find a better way to anchor the town buildings, as even though they are large and have relatively low centers of gravity, the wind here is crazy.
Unfortunately, a car got broken and some pedestrians were knocked off their bases. I’m in the process of fixing the car and adding pins to the base to better hold the people.
Looks like Strelsau got a few feet of snow
Wow. What a couple of weeks. With Christmas coming and things very busy at work, it’s been almost impossible to find time to go outside. Add to that the fact that it’s been in the teens and very windy, and I haven’t been outside much at all.
I do have a new project I’m working on: a town facade and shuttling trolley for the top of the bookcases in my office. But that’s not far enough along for me to even have any pictures.
The alyssa is really going gangbusters in the late summer. The gazebo is all but overgrown. I love this stuff, but it does go crazy!
It’s certainly better than being overgrown with weeds!
This switch tower was having some issues. I’d used acetate for the windows, which was yellowing and deteriorating. Cracks in the windows were letting in dirt, the LEDs were fading, and the base was a little warped.
Continue reading Structure refurb
Haven’t posted in a while… work, kids, other hobbies, etc, have me pretty busy. Bought an M998 (HMMWV) that’s eaten up a lot of time, but yesterday I was running trains and thought “This looks pretty good, I should take a picture”
Nothing much exciting is going on with the railroad at the moment. I’m working to fix some of the buildings that have deteriorated due to the weather, and weeding. I did add some dirt to bring up the level of the “land” so I could get more ballast on the track. But it’s mostly just been running trains and admiring the view.
On a forum I frequent, someone suggested creating a “whistle stop” type station to put near the castle, so tourists have a way to get there. Here’s what I came up with. Continue reading Station for Castle
Castle progress, now painted in its “final” color
Continue reading Castle Color
Here’s something that was suggested on one of the online forums I follow, a kite flying kid to go with the picnickers.
Added figures and logs to the crane by the sawmill
I’m working on indoor projects at the moment, as the weather hasn’t cooperated for outdoor/train running time. A couple buildings are being fixed up (and a new one built) and I’ve managed to make some more progress on my crossing gates. I’m also working on a Z scale on G scale flatcar, that will be pulled by my LGB loco while a Marklin Z scale loco goes around it. More when it gets warmer.
Here’s the locomotive servicing section
You can see the HSB passenger cars in front of the station Continue reading Night Time in Ruritania
I’ll have to get some better pictures. But since my wife’s new camera takes much better low-light pictures, I thought I’d post this test shot.