Here’s the first step: all framed in pencil rod and covered with chicken wire (I know they don’t call it that anymore–but I do)
I’ve finished up the first of two planned logging wagons. This one just needs a figure guiding the horses and it will be ready to go out next to the lumber mill and tree stumps I currently have on the layout.
I’m going to build another one of these later, assuming there turns out to be enough room on the layout for two once I’ve added the mountain.
I built some logs for my logging wagon from ABS pipe.
First, I cut it to length. Then I applied adhesive to the outside, in lines parallel to the length of the pipe.
I smoothed the application with a toothpick–catching any drips.
I cut pieces of sintra to fit the ends, then inserted them. Then I filled the ends with adhesive.
Once it was all dry, I dipped them in outdoor paint–a dark slate, almost black color I have.
Next I applied a dry brushing of lighter browns and then washed with a darker brown.
Finally, I painted the ends light brown to represent fresh-cut wood and added some light brown spots along the “trunk” to simulate where branches were removed.
I think they look pretty good. We’ll have to see how they stand up outside.
I’ve been fiddling with this for quite some time. My initial experiments didn’t work out too well as the IR sensors didn’t like the waterproofing and the “stainless” steel wire I was using rusted out.
But here’s some progress
The servos are mounted in the bottom of a set of LGB crossing gates.
The servos are controlled by an Arduino board.
I’ve thought for a while now about adding a mountain (and tunnel) to my layout. The problem is, this is Germany (or Ruritania, or Graustark) in the 1930s, so a southwestern U.S.-style mountain won’t do. I need an alp.
My current idea is to make a frame of rebar, cover it with wire mesh, and then use concrete-impregnated burlap to cover it in a sort of concrete version of paper mache.