Here are a couple of photos of the summer layout
The last few weeks have been spent working to address some of the stuff that’s happened to the layout over the winter:
- Several figures needed to be repainted, reset on their bases, or otherwise repaired.
- Some roofs needed repainting
- Cleaning buildings of mud/rain splatter
- Sprinkler repair
- Getting the last of the leaves out of the tunnel
Plus there were other things to take care of:
- Re-leveling/settling track
- New plants
When I started my layout, live steam wasn’t even a gleam in my eye. I planned on analog DC to start and a possible move to DCC later. But I’ve got the live steam bug now.
to make steaming up more convenient, I’ve decided to add a siding where steamers can be serviced and steamed up more easily. Not done yet, but here’s a start.
Well, it was a little windy (gusting to 50) here the other day. Several buildings blew over. I’ll need to find a better way to anchor the town buildings, as even though they are large and have relatively low centers of gravity, the wind here is crazy.
Unfortunately, a car got broken and some pedestrians were knocked off their bases. I’m in the process of fixing the car and adding pins to the base to better hold the people.
Got this tank car for Christmas
Wow. What a couple of weeks. With Christmas coming and things very busy at work, it’s been almost impossible to find time to go outside. Add to that the fact that it’s been in the teens and very windy, and I haven’t been outside much at all.
I do have a new project I’m working on: a town facade and shuttling trolley for the top of the bookcases in my office. But that’s not far enough along for me to even have any pictures.
I haven’t had both tracks clean and working for quite a while. This weekend I got the inner track working and decided to send a loco around each loop.
This Hauptstraße (Main Street) building was in need of some work. I’d never put the sign on the front, and some of the other signs were fading. In addition, the “foundation” was made of cast material that didn’t stand up to the weather as well as I’d hoped.
It looks a lot better now. The sign is using a new preservative technique that I first tried on my castle sign… I thoroughly coated it with UV Resist, then once it was dry encased it in resin, then resprayed with UV resist. We’ll see how it holds up, but I’m hopeful.
This switch tower was having some issues. I’d used acetate for the windows, which was yellowing and deteriorating. Cracks in the windows were letting in dirt, the LEDs were fading, and the base was a little warped.
Haven’t posted in a while… work, kids, other hobbies, etc, have me pretty busy. Bought an M998 (HMMWV) that’s eaten up a lot of time, but yesterday I was running trains and thought “This looks pretty good, I should take a picture”
Nothing much exciting is going on with the railroad at the moment. I’m working to fix some of the buildings that have deteriorated due to the weather, and weeding. I did add some dirt to bring up the level of the “land” so I could get more ballast on the track. But it’s mostly just been running trains and admiring the view.